Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Happy anniversary to us!

Today is Jake's and my three-year anniversary. Yay us! We were married February 25, 2006, in the Idaho Falls Temple, but it seems like just yesterday we met!

I was reading in my scriptures yesterday and came across something I hadn't seen in awhile. Six years ago, I was a sophomore in high school and was kind of going through a rough time. My seminary teacher, Brother Morrison, impacted my life in a lot of ways, but one of them was a lesson he taught about setting goals. He gave us a small sheet of paper and told us to write down a goal we had for ourselves, date it, and stick it in our scriptures to remind ourselves of the direction we wanted to be heading. I wrote down "Get married in the temple", and wrote the date on the bottom: February 24, 2003. It was exactly three years later to the day that Jake and I went to the temple to receive our endowments, and only a day after that we were married in the temple! I've always kept that little slip of paper to remind myself of the commitment I made and how much Brother Morrison helped me out.

I'm so thankful to have Jake! Some fun facts about us:
  • My good friend Jessica introduced us, but we only spoke on the phone for about the first week. I remembered thinking that he was the only person I'd ever met who talked more than I did! And he made me laugh a lot, which was a plus.
  • The first thing Jake ever said to me was, "How is it that I've never met you?" Our dads grew up together and our grandmothers are best friends, but we didn't even know each other existed. Jake's best friend, Tyson, lived down the road from us and our families were good friends. In fact, Jake had been snowmobiling with my parents and Tyson's family the entire winter before we met, but I hadn't been able to go with them and they'd never mentioned him to me.
  • Jake's last seminary teacher was also named Brother Morrison, and he was my teacher's brother. However, they didn't get along and Jake ended up quitting seminary, mostly due to his own bad attitude. When we moved back to Blackfoot, we discovered that his seminary teacher was in our new bishopric! Jake was a little nervous about it, but Brother Morrison was really great with us and impressed Jake with how forgiving he was.
I guess that's enough mushy stuff. Happy anniversary to us!

2 comments:

Emily said...

Happy anniversary! I'm so glad you met eachother and are so happy. We need to go on a cruise for our 50 year wedding anniversaries together. Go ahead and put it on the calendar. :)

Lusk Family said...

Thanks to me this all happened! LOL love you guys! I am so glad that you guys are happy! See you a church in a few weeks!!!!