This election season has changed some things for me. It's not hard to see that we are in a scary time, with the economy and the war and all of the other crucial issues at hand. I've actually been really interested in the issues at hand and I paid attention to what the candidates had to say. I was so fascinated by the political aspects of the whole thing that I decided to change my teaching minor to political science, something that I have really loved so far! As a result, I'm taking a whole bunch of political science classes this semester, and Obama has been the hot topic for the past week and a half of classes. My Legislative Process professor even let us out of class early yesterday so we could get to a television to see Obama being sworn in as our next president.
It was such a cool experience! My class is in the Rendezvous Center, which, for those of you who don't know ISU's campus very well, is kind of a new Student Union building. Anyway, there is a cafeteria-style dining area with a few televisions, and there were literally hundreds of students crammed into this area, circling the biggest t.v. I was worried at first that we wouldn't be able to hear with that amount of people, but it was very quiet as we all came together to watch this important event. Black, white, or any other nationality; young or old; Democrat or Republican; all of us were glued to the screen as we watched Obama's swearing-in and speech. When he was done, everyone collectively began clapping and cheering. I got chills!
It was really neat to be a part of this historical event. I heard a reporter on the news say that every American will be marking exactly what they were doing during this inauguration, because we're all aware of how important it is. So for the record, I was at school, studying politics! :)
Ian T-ball
16 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment