Today is my 22nd birthday! Holy smokes, I'm old! Okay, okay, so I can hear the howls through about a thousand computers right about now. So I'm not old by most of the world standards. But I feel old! Six years ago, I was turning sixteen and was very excited to be old enough to date. Four years ago I was eighteen and was trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life after high school.
Two years ago, I was twenty and was miserably six months pregnant. I don't remember much of that birthday, naturally. Today, I'm 22, married, and a mom. I don't think I ever thought this was where I would be in my life at 22. But I think I'm okay with that!
I've had some birthday adventures all ready. Saturday night we had a birthday party with Jake's family. Jake's birthday is next week and his sister and her husband's birthdays were last week, so we celebrate them all together. Jake was excited because his mom bought the two guys a "Cars" cake!
My wonderful mother took me to dinner last night, just the two of us, and we went shopping afterward. We went to Ruby Tuesday (my new favorite restaurant, by the way-I recommend the garden bar!!!) and just talked and laughed and had fun. We like to gossip and be catty and it's lots easier when we don't have those pesky husbands around accusing us of being judgmental. Dang men.
Our family has a traditional birthday song: "Happy birthday to you, you live in a zoo, you look like a monkey, and you smell like one too!" I've had this song sang to me at least once every birthday for as long as I can remember. Jennifer left me a voice mail this morning singing the song. Kandice coached Ky into singing it on video, and sent it to me this morning. It's hilarious!
Totally made my day. Hope the video works. Anyways...thanks to all of you who've sent me texts or called me today. It's great to hear from all of you; thanks for remembering lil' ol' me! As for the REST of you...where've you been?!?!?! Ha ha, I'm just joking. Seriously, it's been a good day and a great year. Lots of changes: new house, raising a baby into a toddler, new job for Jake. We've had challenges and trials and lots of fun. Tomorrow I guess I'll wake up and see what I can create with the next 365 days.
Ian T-ball
15 years ago



4 comments:
Happy Birthday! I totally spaced it! Yeah it's weird being 22 all the fun b-days are over lol. Hope you had a great one!
Amos~
We hope that you had the greatest birthday ever! I loved being 22 and I'm sure you will, too! You have accomplished so much and I am so grateful to be your God-sister!
Love ya!
Em
Happy Birthday! I have to tell you that I felt OLD turning 22 too. I know it's REALLY not OLd, but it's true I can remember being 16 like it was yesterday, not 6 yrs ago! Some day we'll be turning 50 & saying 22 wasn't very old! ha ha..
Amy -
Happy Belated Birthday! You really have accomplished a lot in your young 22 years! I admire you for sticking with college even though you're married and have an adorable little boy! There is light at the end of the tunnel. I've been really involved with Jr. Miss the past couple of weeks and remember when you were in it a few years ago, and I think that was one of the first times I met Jake. He was whooping and hollering for you from the audience and I couldn't believe he was so bold as to do that in front of your family and friends. But now that I know Jake a little better, it's totally him! Gotta love him!
Jane
Post a Comment